Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Long time no blog

So, here I am nearing the first test of my class and I have yet to blog about this semester. This is mainly due to the fact that I have been interviewing like a fiend for jobs. So far two offers, it is going to be a tough decision...

Anyway, onto class:

1) This semester I feel like I haven't gotten to know the students at all. I've missed several lecture because of travel and weather (in fact I didn't teach once last week) and so I'm not sure if the students are prepared or not for their first test. I will probably go easy on them because of this. I feel really bad for leaving them so much in the hands of other (very capable) teachers because I feel like I don't have that personal connection. I look forward to the end of next week so that I can finally have some stability in the classroom.

2) I love my new classroom. It has tables and chairs so it rises to the back so I can see all the students and it is easier to get them to work in groups. I can also see when students are texting under the table (I definitely yelled at a guy today for texting... twice!). Anyway, I feel like it gives me more control of my classroom which I like.

3) The students are much more talkative and ask more questions which is great! I'm glad that my absences haven't caused them to shut down and glaze over.


Hopefully I will keep up with this thing better and I will finally be in the classroom teaching so that I can be more reflective about my teaching after next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment